In this episode I interviewed Michelle Gielan, Founder of the Institute for Applied Positive Research, former CBS News anchor, and author of the Bestselling book, Broadcasting Happiness. As a psychology researcher, Michelle’s work has been featured in The New York Times, Washington Post, FORBES, Harvard Business Review, and on the CNN and FOX News networks. Listen as Michelle and I discuss the power of positivity, our responsibility as individual broadcasters, and how business leaders can radically improve employee performance by bringing the right attitude to the office.
- CIO Security Scoreboard – Go to ciosecurityscoreboard.com to learn more about how to communicate the status of your IT Security program visually and in minutes.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 01:02 – Bill welcomes Michelle to the show
- 01:30 – How Michelle went from being a computer engineer, to news anchor, to psych researcher
- 01:55 – Do work that fits your calling—that helps you serve the world
- 02:30 – At the height of the recession, Michelle was broadcasting negativity every day which took its toll and is ultimately why she left
- 03:30 – Defining positive psychology
- 03:50 – How can we—once we get people to baseline—get them to thrive?
- 04:45 – When we make small changes in the way we communicate with people it radically alters how impactful our interactions can be
- 05:09 – The science behind positive psychology
- 05:43 – We’re all broadcasters—we all have influence and power over others
- 06:12 – When leaders come into the office with a negative/stress mindset, it’s broadcast to the employees
- 07:48 – The pre-frontal cortex
- 08:05 – The dopamine hit and the risks of addiction
- 08:35 – Small complements to employees result in small dopamine hits which results in better productivity
- 10:05 – The brain is like a muscle—we can change it, we are not dealt a set hand of cards
- 11:05 – How much support your organization provides can radically alter the on-job performance of your employees
- 11:50 – Work optimism
- 12:00 – Positive Engagement
- 12:06 – Support Provision
- 12:45 – What you give is what you get in terms of positivity
- 13:28 – Look at challenging or stressful situations as opportunities to be a hero
- 14:30 – Exercises and habits to re-writing how we think
- 14:58 – The Power Lead
- 16:25 – Michelle’s work with Nationwide Insurance
- 17:28 – The changes invoked via Michelle’s team 3X’d Nationwide’s sales
- 17:39 – Rethinking small business practices, and showing up fully as leaders can radically improve your operation
- 18:55 – Those small conversations you have with your employees in the hallway, in the breakroom, etc. add up in a BIG way
- 19:45 – As a leader, you are complete responsible for how you show up
- 21:09 – Michelle’s practical tips
- 21:27 – Beware To-Do lists—make sure it includes “wins”
- 23:09 – Instead of trying to fix flaws, focus on strengths and accomplishments
- 24:37 – BUSY PEOPLE!—craft your early morning experience with positivity so it can fuel you the rest of the day
- 25:43 – Transformative Journalism—less on the problem, more on the solution
- 26:48 – Negative events will befall us…it’s what we do with those experiences that matters
- 27:10 – Michelle’s idea billboard—you are a broadcaster and the message you choose to broadcast will radically alter those around you.
- 27:55 – Broadcasting Happiness Website
3-5 Key Points:
- We’re not dealt a fixed set of cards—don’t be afraid to change directions and pivot your focus, that’s how Michelle went from computer engineer to broadcaster to author.
- Stop dwelling on the negatives in your life—focus on your strengths and accomplishments.
- We are ALL broadcasters and we are all responsible for the message(s) we broadcast.
- Rethink your small business practices—cherish those hallway or lunchroom conversations with employees, and make sure you show up in a state of positivity every day.
- Microsoft Hololens –The first fully untethered, holographic computer
- Broadcasting Happiness – Michelle’s book on Amazon
- Michelle Gielan – Today’s guest
- Transformative Journalism – Journalism that’s about moving forward not backward
- Broadcasting Happiness Website – The website for Michelle’s quiz and contact info
Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives
All methods of show access are below:
- Listen and Subscribe on iTunes (for iPhones etc.)
- Listen to it on Stitcher (This is for Android Phone Users. Download the Stitcher app here)
- Stream it on Libsyn
- Listen to it on Soundcloud (This is for listening via PC/Mac Browser)
- Subscribe to my RSS Feed here
- LinkedIn blog post
Leave a podcast review here
Bill Murphy is a world renowned IT Security Expert dedicated to your success as an IT Business Leader. Follow Bill on LinkedIn and Twitter.