I’m very excited about my guest for you today. It’s Barry Libenson, Global CIO for Experian. He is responsible for the design and delivery of global technology strategy. Prior to joining Experian in 2015, he was Senior Vice President and CIO of Safeway in North America. Before that he was CIO and VP of Land O’Lakes. He has a continuous track record of huge success in the CIO capacity.
I am excited to bring Barry back for “Round 2” – his second episode with me and the RedZone Podcast. You will get the following out of this show as it relates to CIO Offense and Defense Strategy for a World Class company. This is the kind of stuff you’re going to get out of this episode with Barry today.
These are very practical and usable suggestions that Barry and I discuss, such as –
- Why you must understand strategies around: Micro Services and APIs and how Barry’s top flight team is a key component to this strategy and how he approaches legacy and ‘build new’ and rapid iteration and testing in his environment.
- Idea Incubation and 3 Innovation Labs at Experian coupled with M&A
- Nurturing a mindset that can’t be disrupted or blindsided by tech disruption
- Why Moving to the cloud is a debatable strategy and more of a tactic
- Barry’s approach to building portability using Micro Services with legacy apps
- His relentless pursuit of security excellence. He dives into his layered defense and ‘hunting approach’
- The role of AI and Machine Learning at Experian in developing products of the future
- The mistakes some CIOs make with security and how to avoid them
- When to look at the Macro vs. Micro perspective as a way to keep yourself in top leadership form
I want you to understand what keeps a top CIO up at night and what he is doing about it. Enjoy!
I hope you enjoyed this program interview with Barry Libenson. If you liked this episode I want you to forward it on your LinkedIn page to your community. I also want you to like and leave comments about the episode on iTunes, and for my droid listeners on Stitcher.
If you are interested in learning more about RedZone and our security expertise in particular related to Cloud and Email Security Kill Chain Strategy, Techniques and Tactics you can email email@example.com.
You can go to the show notes to get more information about Barry and what we discussed in this episode. You’ll find the show notes at redzonetech.net/podcasts.
Until next time. I’m signing off. Thank you and have a great day!
About Barry Libenson
Barry Libenson is Experian’s Global Chief Information Officer (CIO), with responsibility for the design and delivery of Experian’s global technology strategy. Prior to joining Experian in June 2015, he was Senior Vice President and CIO of Safeway, Inc. in North America. Before that, he served as the Chief Information Officer and Vice President at Land O Lakes Inc. Barry joined Ingersoll-Rand as Vice President of e-Business in May 2001 and also served as its Chief Information Officer beginning in 2003. There he was responsible for defining and implementing Ingersoll-Rand’s global electronic and internet business strategies, with a focus on customer relationship and supply chain management.
Early in his career, he served as Executive Vice President of Surety Inc., a data-integrity services company; as Chief Executive Officer for Visix, a software publisher; and held management positions with Phoenix Technologies and Oracle Corporation. He served as a Director at Tavant Technologies, a software firm with offices in California and Bangalore India.
Barry holds a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science from Colgate University and earned a Master’s of Business Administration degree from The Fuqua School of Business at Duke University.
How to get in touch with Barry Libenson
- In financial services, migrating to the cloud requires flexibility and sensitivity. Interview with Barry Libenson, Global CIO at Experian. Eide, N. (2019, April 26), CIO Dive.com.
- How CIOs Can Prepare for A New World of Open Data. Libenson, B. (2019, January 18), CIO.com.
- CIO interview: Barry Libenson, global CIO, Experian. Samuels, M. (2018, November 14), ComputerWeekly.com.
- Experian’s Global CIO – How we created a standardized platform for information consistency. Samuels, M. (2018, November 5), diginomica.
- Experian CIO Barry Libenson explains latest changes in data analytics. Macaulay, T. (2018, October 18), com.UK.
- Experian CIO: IT Standardization Drives Agile. Davis, J. (2018, October 11), InformationWeek.
- Experian Enlists Machine Learning to Gauge App Performance Goal is to identify and fix application problems before they impact customers. Norton, S. (2018, August 2), CIO Journal.
- Experian CIO: 4 Ingredients for API Success, How to cook up results while leading API efforts. Libenson, B. (2017, July 28), The Enterprise Project.com.
- CIO evolution: How the skills needed by the IT chief are changing. Interview with Barry Libenson, ZDNet Video.
- Experian CIO, Barry Libenson, on the Credit Industry. Yahoo Finance Interview on Twitter, (2019, March 29).
This episode is sponsored by the CIO Innovation Insider Forum, dedicated to Business Digital Leaders who want to be a part of 20% of the planet and help their businesses win with innovation and transformation.
* Outro music provided by Ben’s Sound
Leave a Review