This episode is sponsored by the CIO Scoreboard
It took a while to get John Sileo on the show after my team heard him speak at an ISACA conference. He is a very in demand speaker and you will see why soon.
John Sileo’s identity was stolen and used to embezzle $300,000 from his clients. The exposure destroyed John’s career and consumed two years of his life as he fought to stay out of jail.
Combining real-world experience with years of study, John became an award-winning author and leading expert on cyber security, identity theft and data privacy.
John is CEO of The Sileo Group, a data security think tank that helps organizations protect the information that drives their profits. His body of work includes engagements with the Pentagon, USA Today, Visa, 60 Minutes, Homeland Security, Rachael Ray, Schwab and organizations of all sizes.
John graduated with honors from Harvard University and spends his free time with his remarkable wife and two highly spirited daughters.
Major take – aways from this episode are:
- Why do you start with ‘Why’ With IT Security? Security starts with a person behind the social security number.
- The Difference between Offense (CIO) and Defense (CSO) for IT Business Leaders.
- The importance of splitting the role of CSO away from the CIO – so that you don’t have defense reporting to offense.
- Renting CSO Services vs buying.
- Building security as a habit – Review the Book by Charles Duhigg Power of Habit:Why We Do What We Do In Life and Business.
- Build one new habit into your IT Sec Program.
- The importance of company culture and IT Security.
- Do you celebrate IT Security wins at the highest levels?
- Celebrate the reductions of employee errors, including clicking on phishing attempts.
- 3 ways to protect your data from a ransomware. See John Sileo’s website.
- Of the people he has studied, 90% have paid the ransom, and only 50% of them have received the key to unlock their data.
- The Neuroscience of the Pre-frontal cortex, cortisol, amygdala and how it applies to IT Security.
- Review your greatest threat protection and the role of HR.
I have linked up all the show notes on redzonetech.net/podcast where you can get access to John’s books and publications.
Ways to Connect with John Sileo:
- Privacy Means Profit: Prevent Identity Theft and Secure You and Your Bottom Line
- Stolen Lives: Identity Prevention Made Simple
This episode is sponsored by the CIO Scoreboard, a powerful tool that helps you communicate the status of your IT Security program visually in just a few minutes.
* Outro music provided by Ben’s Sound
Leave a Review
If you enjoyed this episode, then please consider leaving an iTunes review here
Click here for instructions on how to leave an iTunes review if you’re doing this for the first time.
About Bill Murphy
Bill Murphy is a world renowned IT Security Expert dedicated to your success as an IT business leader. Follow Bill on LinkedIn and Twitter.